When Someone Hurts You, Part 1
“Surely resentment destroys the fool, and jealousy kills the simple.”
Job 5:2 (NLT)
As long as you hang around people, the odds are high that you will be hurt by them at different times.
– Customers will abuse you.
– Friends will lie about you.
– Classmates will betray you.
– Family will not appreciate you.
Sometimes people hurt you intentionally, sometimes unintentionally.
It doesn’t matter- it still hurts!
The Bible says resentment is self-defeating for three reasons:
– It’s unreasonable – “To worry yourself to death with resentment is a foolish thing to do.” Job 5:2.
It won’t change the past or correct the problem. It just causes you to act in foolish ways.
– It’s unhelpful – “You are only hurting yourself with your anger.” Job 18:4.
It always hurts you more than it does the person you resent.
You’re miserable while the offender goes on his way unaffected!
– It’s unhealthy! “Some men stay healthy until they die, others live and die with bitter hearts.” Job 21:23-25.
Doctors say that resentment is the unhealthiest emotion you can experience. It poisons your system. Tomorrow we will look at how to handle a hurt.
Thank you, Father, for showing us in your word, the unreasonable, unhelpful and unhealthy consequences of resentment. Put your shield of love around us that will deflect that hurt and keep resentment out of our hearts by the power of your love.
Study by Fraser Murdoch