God The Giver of Good Gifts
Sixth part of a Series
“If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!”
Matthew 7:11 (NIV)
Parents give gifts to their children. The pictures on children’s faces when they open a surprise present on their birthday or another special occasion is wonderful. The happiness and excitement of receiving something special from Mum or Dad. And a loving parent will enjoy giving that gift. Knowing that they’ve been able to do something, however small, to bring happiness to the child they love so much.
And God is the same with us. He loves us so much He wants to shower us with His gifts. He wants to bring us true joy in our lives. And he wants to give us the greatest gift of all, the gift of His son Jesus, by whom we can have eternal life. As John 3:16 famously tells us, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Jesus Christ was a gift to the whole world.
Let’s consider a few other good gifts our loving Father in heaven gives to His children:
- As we saw at the start of this series of studies, to those who believe in Jesus God gives the right to become His children (John 1:12)
- The Holy Spirit is described as a gift from God to be with us forever (John 14:16; Acts 2:38)
- 2 Corinthians 9:14-15 refers to “the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!”
- Ephesians 2:8 tells us that salvation is the gift of God, by grace
- Jesus said he gives the gift of his peace (John 14:27)
- Romans 6:23 tells us that the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. And Jesus says that the free gift of God is the living water of life where people who drink of it will never thirst again (John 4:10, 13-15; Revelation 22:17)
- And if all this isn’t enough, incredibly James 1:17 tells us that “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights.”
So just as human parents give good gifts to their children, truly our heavenly Father gives us the most amazing gifts of all!
Father, thank you so much for all your wonderful gifts which far surpass anything our human parents can give. Help us to truly appreciate everything that you have done and continue to do for us through Jesus Christ.
Study by Simon Williams
Worldwide Church of God Cambridge
Comberton Village Hall
Saturday 2:00 pm
Local Congregational Contact: