One Day at a Time
“This is the day that the Lord has made. Let us be full of joy and be glad in it.”
Psalm 118:24 (NLV)
Jim Burns in one of his books* talks about five “DAILY” habits that he employs which govern his life. Although the book is about marriage these guidelines are useful to help improve our attitude, positively influence our relationships and the way we use our time. As a result they bring glory to God.
1) Decide to follow God daily How might our day and life be different if like Abraham, Joshua, Paul and many others we decide each day to pick up our cross and pursue our Lord? We need the discipline of yielding to and allowing the Holy Spirit to influence our every thought.
2) Adore God daily O Come All Ye Faithful is not a song only for Christmas. The chorus encourages our daily practice as demonstrated in Revelation 4 & 5. “O come let us adore Him. O come let us adore him. O come let us adore Him. Christ the Lord.”
3) In the word daily It has been calculated that if we devote about 15 minutes a day we would read through the Bible in a year. The gain from this exercise far exceeds the effort we put into it each day. It really is time well spent.
4) Love others daily It is virtually impossible to avoid people. So instead of trying to and complaining, look for ways to allow the love of God to flow through us to positively impact our world.
5) Yahweh reigns forever Our day starts with God in a place of worship as we decide to follow Him and ends with Him in a spirit of gratitude as we practice these principles. But, no matter what happened, what we did or didn’t do, He remains sovereign and Abba, Father.
Have a great day.
Loving Father, thank you for each new day, fresh start and the joy of knowing you love us. Help us today to desire you above all else. In Jesus’ name.
Study by David Gibbs
* Creating an Intimate Marriage by Jim Burns 2006.
Worldwide Church of God Birmingham
All Saints Church
Local Congregational Contact:
Phone: 01213420609 (answer phone)